Gabrielle Roth's 5 Rhythms Ecstatic Dance
Before your first class...
photo courtesy of Carmen Alvarez Photography
Some things that might be helpful to know:
- There is no right or wrong way to do this practice, apart from giving up!
- Wear thin layers of comfortable clothes. Dance either barefoot or in soft-soled dance shoes. It is unsafe to do this practice in socks, or in shoes with heels. Avoid sharp/heavy jewellery, & chewing gum
- Bring a bottle of water to drink
- When you first arrive, don't wait for the teacher to start speaking - just start moving to the music and getting warmed up in whatever way works best for you - stretching out, walking round, dancing, etc
- Don't worry about feeling self-conscious - most people are focused on their own dance rather than you, so just relax and enjoy yourself!
- The teacher may invite the class to move in various ways, which may feel exciting and fun, or uncomfortable and challenging, or all of those things! Try just to accept whatever you feel: remember it's an invitation, not an order, and keep dancing! When you move with your feelings, they will move on
- Other people may dance in ways that seem strange - they may be loud and in your face, or very inward, or intimate. Again, just notice, and accept, how you feel. You can always choose to move away from someone, to stay in your own space, or to move towards someone different. Do respect yourself and your own boundaries and process, and give the same respect to others, too
- Keep your eyes open, unless the teacher tells you to close them
- Do chat to other dancers after class. It can seem that everyone already knows each other, and many do, but most people are very happy to talk about the dance, especially if you are willing to ask them about their experience, and speak about your own. I am also available for a short time at the end of class if there's anything you want to ask
- If you'd like more information now, please email me, or phone 07977 762604
- See you at the classes - Angela.